History

The North Park Community Church is part of the Advent Christian General Conference with around 275 churches in the United States of America and 651 mission churches in other countries.   The denomination grew out of a movement that started with William Miller in the 1800’s that was about proclaiming the Second Coming of Christ. The denomination formed in 1860 and as it spread out from the East Coast an Advent Christian Church was formed here in San Diego in 1911.  It was founded in faith by A Vernon and Velena Morse.  Their inspiration and vision was taken from Joel 2:28a, “And it shall come to pass… that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh.”   With the help of the Advent Christian Conference of Southern California, the church began in a tent in downtown San Diego on October 19, 1911 with 8 charter members. 

            A property search committee recommended two lots at the corner of Kansas Street, now 29th Street, and Landis St.  Mr. D.A. Davis, a Pasadena resident, purchased the land and held it for the church. In June 1912 the tent was moved to the new property. The church’s first permanent pastor, Reverend Samuel Forsey, came in December 1913. In 1914,

NPCC Circa 1914

North Park Community Church Circa 1914

Mr. Davis provided the labor to build a church and parsonage on the property.  Just before its completion he announced that the church was a gift to the people of San Diego, free of all debt, in thanksgiving for God’s goodness to him and his wife, Mary.   The church was dedicated to the Lord on November 11, 1914.  The church grew as they were faithful to God and serving the community.  As it grew new ministries like the Women’s Home and Foreign Mission Society and Loyal workers, now the youth group, were formed in 1915; Men’s Fellowship in 1959; Children’s Choir in the 1970’s.    

NPCC through the faithfulness and sacrifices of its members and godly leadership, has been faithfully serving North Park and San Diego area through all the changes in its history:   the severe flu epidemic and Great Depression in the 1930’s;  times of war like World War II, Korean conflict, Vietnam, Gulf War; The North Park airplane crash in the 1970’s, etc.   Through these community changes, there have also been changes in the church facilities.  In 1951

NPCC Circa 1951

North Park Community Church Circa 1951

the church sanctuary was expanded and a church fellowship was built.  In the 1970’s it was time to remodel and renovate again.   A new fellowship hall replaced the parsonage including a complete kitchen.   Other changes include sending some key leaders to the mission field as the Lord called them.   In the 1990’s NPCC renewed its commitment to North Park and not to relocate as so many people and even members moved to different suburbs of San Diego. So another renovation occurred making the church handicap accessible and earth quake strong. This major renewal project changed the church to it’s current look.

NPCC Circa 1979

North park Community Church Circa 1979

 

 

 Today, we still have faith in the Lord and desire to faithfully serve the Lord in North Park.   We want to Love God and Love People as part of the North Park Community.  We sponsor Boy Scout Troop #53 for the last 40 years. We also host a Narcotics Anonymous and have partnered with other organizations to benefit those who live in our community like Scleroderma, Hospice of San Diego, Election Day Poling, Electronic Recycling, Blood Drive, etc.  

NPCC Circa 1995

North Park Community Church Circa 1995 to present

 

Heritage is important and what a wonderful heritage we share with North Park as the North Park Community Church.    God’s desire is that everyone will come to know His love through a personal relationship with Jesus as their Savior and Lord.  As a church, we are committed to the Lord and our community with love, faith, commitment, sacrifice and perseverance.  Come and be part of this great heritage at NPCC.